I Educate & Support Parents
Parents Are Key
The following pages were created for those that educate or support people in their role as "parents" of teens. Research tells us that most car crashes are preventable, not accidents waiting to happen. Research also proves that involved parents matter and can significantly reduce crash risk. Your role is vital - to work with parents to reinforce how important they are to keeping teen drivers safe.
When you get parents on board to talk with their teens about how to become responsible, skilled drivers and to establish firm "house rules" for safe driving, you are helping to prevent teen car crashes. The relationships you have developed with parents make you a trusted messenger for the research-based information, educational resources, and communication tools found on this site.
We regularly add new resources or update resources to help you reach parents in their important role in the learning-to-drive process and beyond. Subscribe to the Research in Action Blog to learn when new resources and research become available.
- Help Parents Support Their Teens
- Enhance Their Education
- GDL Makes It Easier for Parents
- Facts About Teen Driving
- Strategies for Getting the Message Across
- Teach Parents to Be Teachers
- Help Parents Spread the Word
Unlicensed teen drivers tend to engage in more unsafe driving behaviors than licensed teen drivers.
- Miles to go: Focusing on Risks for Teen Driver Safety (2013)
- Toolset: Miles to go: Focusing on Risks for Teen Driver Safety (2013)
- Trends in Safe Teen Passenger Behaviors Infographic (2013)
- Parents Teaching Teens to Drive: The Adolescent Perspective (2011)
- Fact Sheet: Parenting Tips to Keep Teen Drivers Safe