The Last Stage: Your Full License
If you have made it to this stage of licensing, congratulations! You have successfully completed the first two phases of the learning-to drive process. You are now expected to follow your state’s traffic laws just like any citizen. Remember, having a license only means you meet the minimum requirements to drive on your own. Any skill usually requires lots of practice, and driving is no exception.
Characteristics of a Mature Driver
- Monitors the environment around the vehicle, scanning far ahead to identify risks and to adjust driving accordingly
- Always wears a seat belt as the driver and makes sure that passengers do, too
- Recognizes and avoids distractions inside and outside of the vehicle
- Never drives impaired
- Controls emotions while driving
- Recognizes and avoids driving in conditions that are too challenging
- Never takes intentional risks while driving
- Respects other road users, including motorcyclists, bicyclists and pedestrians, and adjusts driving behavior accordingly
How many describe you today? Which ones do you still need to work on?