The Last Stage: Your Full License
If you have made it to this stage of licensing, congratulations! You have successfully completed the first two phases of the learning-to drive process. You are now expected to follow your state’s traffic laws just like any citizen. Remember, having a license only means you meet the minimum requirements to drive on your own. Any skill usually requires lots of practice, and driving is no exception.
Characteristics of a Mature Driver
- Monitors the environment around the vehicle, scanning far ahead to identify risks and to adjust driving accordingly
- Always wears a seat belt as the driver and makes sure that passengers do, too
- Recognizes and avoids distractions inside and outside of the vehicle
- Never drives impaired
- Controls emotions while driving
- Recognizes and avoids driving in conditions that are too challenging
- Never takes intentional risks while driving
- Respects other road users, including motorcyclists, bicyclists and pedestrians, and adjusts driving behavior accordingly
How many describe you today? Which ones do you still need to work on?
Still need more practice? Download these tools:
TeenDrivingPlan Practice Guide
TeenDrivingPlan Goal Guide
TeenDrivingPlan Logging and Rating Tool