The TeenDrivingPlan (TDP) is an interactive web-based program to help parents more effectively supervise driving practice. TDP has three components: (1) Learn, (2) Plan, (3) Log. The learning component features 53 brief videos to guide parents in creating a positive learning environment and structuring practice activities in a variety of driving settings. The planning component features an interactive practice planner to help families select concrete goals for each practice session. The logging and rating tool helps families keep track of practice hours and skill development. The development of TDP involved five years of formative research followed by a randomized, controlled trial of young drivers and their parent supervisors.
Key TDP Study Results
An intervention such as this, rigorously tested and based on solid behavioral objectives, holds promise in making the learner period of Graduated Driver Licensing (GDL) more effective.
Read a Wall Street Journal article that includes one parent's experience using TeenDrivingPlan.
Download the TeenDrivingPlan
Logging and Rating Tool
- Teen Driving Skills Acquisition and Training
- Enforcement and Compliance with Graduated Driver Licensing (GDL) Provisions
- Safe Driving Assessment
- Post-license Safety-Positive and Safety-Negative Teen Driving Behaviors
- Young Drivers' License and Crash Patterns in New Jersey
- Developmental Disabilities and Driving